Changing to living green is a great way to do your part while in the meantime you will be living healthier and also saving money at the same time. Green living creates a win/win way of life. You never have to compromise your interior decoration design when deciding to go green.
There are thousands of designs on the market today that cater to green living. Once you eliminate all of the toxic materials that are already in your bedroom you will be on your way to a healthier and very stylish way of living.
It’s easy to go with a green interior decoration design and after all it does help our environment too. Green also goes a step further by contributing to our own sense of well being. Earth-friendly lifestyles are becoming more and more accepted and understood.
This is actually a lifestyle that can be used in our entire home. Here is how you start a green makeover in your bedroom.
1. Organic flooring can be easily achieved by using an wool carpet, wood, or stone. The floor is important since it is the building block for the whole room. Natural wood is a great choice as long as the floor finish is eco friendly.
The wool carpet and stone flooring can be expensive and it might be cheaper to strip down and refinish an existing wood floor. Carpet might be the best option for a child’s room.
2. The bedding in a green bedroom is also crucial. The mattress should be organic and made from either wool or cotton. Organic bedding is used which is made from materials that are free of toxins.
The fabric for this type of bedding is made of either organic cotton or bamboo fabric. While these bedding sets can be a bit pricey, they are available and easy to find at most department stores.
3. It is time to get rid of the old drapes, curtains, and shades. Replace them with untreated wood blinds or organic fabric shades. Make sure that you include organic fiber when planning your green interior decoration design.
Don’t use anything on your windows that has been treated. Doing this not only looks great but it also eliminated dust mites and allergens from your bedroom.
4. Even your paint must be eco friendly. Every color that you could want to redecorate your bedroom with is available in paint that is green friendly. Traditional paint can interfere with the air quality of your home because it is filled with toxins.
This paint can actually be dangerous for as long as five years so always choose paint that has no VOC’s. You can also select a paint that is all natural for the same effect.
5. Select the lighting for your bedroom based on the style that you like and what will go well with your decor. If your light selection includes a lamp shade then make sure that it is eco friendly and made of organic materials.
Never use regular light bulbs but rather use compact fluorescent bulbs. These bulbs are a great way to contribute to green living and still be able to stay within the perimeters of your interior decoration design. They last a lot longer and they cost less to use.